Nancy Kelly is a Partner at Governo Law Firm. Ms. Kelly has a significant litigation background in U.S. state and federal courts in product liability, asbestos, insurance coverage and commercial matters, including strategic litigation planning for mass tort claims on a national and regional basis. She has represented product and equipment manufacturers, as well as manufacturers of pharmaceuticals and medical devices. Ms. Kelly served on the national trial team for a Fortune 100 heavy equipment manufacturer. Ms. Kelly has defended companies in consolidated trials of hundreds of plaintiffs in New York and in Maryland. She also was involved in a lengthy government public nuisance lawsuit relating to the use of lead pigment in paint.
Ms. Kelly has defended dozens of companies in asbestos trials involving personal injury and wrongful death claims. She has worked extensively on the medical and liability issues in these cases, and has resolved thousands of cases. She has been a member of the Medical Defense Group in the New York City Asbestos Litigation. As part of the Defense Liaison Counsel team, Ms. Kelly was instrumental in drafting the current Pretrial Orders governing the Massachusetts Asbestos Litigation. She also served on the Executive Committee representing defendants on discovery, trial scheduling, and general strategy issues.
Ms. Kelly lectures frequently on general litigation and asbestos topics as well as insurance coverage developments. She has spoken at conferences organized by Defense Research Institute (DRI), the Environmental & Emerging Claim Manager Association (EECMA), and the Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU) Society.
Ms. Kelly is admitted to practice in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Maine and is a qualified Solicitor authorized to practice in England and Wales. She is rated "AV" by Martindale-Hubbell, signifying the highest level of legal knowledge, analytical capabilities, judgment, communication ability, and legal experience.
Areas of Practice
- Complex Civil Litigation
- Data Privacy & Cyber Liability
- Litigation Management
- Scientific, Medical & Technical
- Toxic Torts
- U.S. District Court District of Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court District of Connecticut
- Rhode Island
- England and Wales
- Boston University School of Law, J.D.
- Brandeis University, B.A.
- Lecturer, Toxic Torts and Products Liability
- Speaker at the Environmental & Emerging Claim Manager Association (EECMA)
- Speaker Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU) Society
- Speaker at the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
Honors and Awards
- "AV" by Martindale-Hubbell, signifying the highest level of legal knowledge, analytical capabilities, judgment, communication ability, and legal experience
- Qualified Solicitor authorized to practice in England and Wales
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Massachusetts Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Defense Research Institute, Member
- National trial team for a Fortune 100 heavy equipment manufacturer
- Medical Defense Group in the New York City Asbestos Litigation, Member
- Massachusetts Asbestos Litigation- Executive Committee
Past Employment Positions
- Legal Counsel for a reinsurance services provider in London for five years